Saturday, September 17, 2022

Rock Bridge & Creation Falls (Powell County, Kentucky)

 

A couple of years ago while driving through eastern Kentucky, I came across Red River Gorge Geological Area. I didn't have the time to explore it during that trip, but made a note to come back at some point in the future. This weekend is that point. I drove the six or so hours after work on Friday night and stayed at a lodge at the nearby Natural Bridge State Park. 

Though I ended up sleeping in a little later than I had planned, I still got out pretty early to start exploring some of the nearby trails and natural wonders located within the area. The first couple of trailheads I drove to were either completely full or required some pretty serious off-roading to get to (I do miss my Jeep at times like this). Eventually though, I found my way to the parking area for Rock Bridge and Creation Falls. It was pretty busy here as well, but I managed to find a spot to park my Subi.

The trail is a small loop and as it was my first in the region, I really didn't know what to expect. It was easy going though; a pretty standard single track through the woods in Appalachia. At about the midway point, I reached Swift Camp Creek, which is little more than a shallow stream. Much of the surface here is made up of the same sand that formed the sandstone arches and natural bridges, which give the area it's notoriety. And there out of nowhere, the first one of my visit appeared before me just as I rounded a turn. 

I didn't recognize it at first due to the angle of my approach, but soon it became obvious that the Rock Bridge was right in front of me. This sandstone structure spans the creek about fifteen feet above the surface of the shimmery water. It connects the opposing banks; a distance of maybe fifty feet. Presumably the waters of the creek have eaten away at the soft sandstone over the centuries and eventually bored a hole through it, which has now become known as the Rock Bridge. It's a pretty cool feature.

Just a short distance further, I encountered the other highlight of this trail, Creation Falls. This two-tier water fall allows the creek water to plummet twenty or so feet into a large shallow pool before it continues downstream to the Rock Bridge. It's far from the most magnificent waterfall I've ever seen, but it is charming in its own way. A large family group is here taking in the scene and wading in the cooling waters. They ask me to take a picture of them in front of the falls. 

The return to the parking area is a little steep, but nothing crazy and I find myself back at the parking area a short time later. This trail was only about 1.8 miles, but is hopefully a good preview of what I should expect on other hikes in the area over the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment