Saturday, January 21, 2023

Sawnee Mountain (Forsyth County, Georgia)

 

The forecast is calling for lots of rain this weekend, but I want to get some miles in before it comes. Also, I have a cask ale tasting to attend later this afternoon and so my time is limited. I settled on hiking around the nearby Sawnee Mountain and posted this on the meetup group that I occasionally lead hikes for. Wanting to be a responsible organizer, I arrived at the site about thirty minutes before the hike was scheduled to start (9:00 AM) and waited for others to arrive. Over the next few minutes several people arrived and started gathering. As it turns out, the Atlanta Outdoor Club, another group that I hike with occasionally, is hiking here today also. There is a bit of confusion with some of those that arrive as to which group they are with, but we get it sorted and with a quick round of introductions, we're on our way.

The first mile or so is a pretty intense uphill and I push the pace harder than I had intended. I had advertised the hike as keeping about a 2.7 mph pace, but we were doing nearly 3.5 for that first mile. So, I wait for folks to catch up and make a concerted effort to slow myself down. It was nice to push myself though. The trail very well maintained, but has a lot of rocks and roots through this first section. 

Soon, we're at the first fork which would afford us the opportunity to cross over the mountain to the other side, but would short the distance I'm hoping for today. We continue left to maintain our clockwise loop around the small mountain. As always, the group gets into some great conversations and before we know it, we're back at the starting point. Some of the group, including a couple of guys that I've hiked with before and that occasionally lead their own hikes, ask about doing the other loop and going up to Indian Seats. I explain that my time is limited, but invite anyone interested to join them. Six or seven of our ten member group take them up on it and head up the the other side of the road. As for me, 5.2 miles will have to be enough for the weekend. I'd love to get more miles in, but with other commitments today and lots of rain tomorrow, I can only do so much. Sawnee Mountain is always a nice little workout that's pretty close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment