Sunday, January 29, 2023

Big Beach Half-Marathon (Baldwin County, Alabama)


The main focus of this trip is the Big Beach Half-Marathon, being held in the gorgeous little town of Gulf Shores, AL. I'm not in shape to run a half, but I need a good kick in the ass and maybe this will be it. The drive from Atlanta to Gulf Shores is roughly six and a half hours. To break that up a little bit, I stopped at a historical fort and Native American mound site along the way. Once I arrived in Gulf Shores though, I got checked into my hotel and then immediately headed out to enjoy what the town has to offer. I've had the pleasure of visiting Gulf Shores once before, many years ago. The parents of one of my best friend's wife own a home along the beach nearby and I was able to spend a few days there kicking back and relaxing. It was a great time and I really enjoyed the area, which made it all the more desirable to return when I saw this half-marathon opportunity. 

From the hotel, I first hit a nearby brewery recommended by my buddy and then walked just a short distance to enjoy some locally caught oysters for dinner. They were delicious along with a Caesar salad. Know that I have to get up early though for the race, I decide to head back to the hotel and turn in pretty early. 

I didn't sleep all that well, but since I had allowed myself plenty of time to sleep, I think I'll be okay. I get up and get ready for the race. Walking out to my car, I fall in love with the cool, but somehow warming, ocean breeze blowing in. It should make for a great day on the race course. There is a high chance of rain later today, but I think I'll be done well before that happens. 

Finding a parking spot just a short distance from the starting line, I walk over and get my bib well in advance of the starting time. The starting corrals are right along the beach and offer a great view of the sunrise. I make use of the provided port-o-potty and finish off a bottle of water, while waiting for the race to start. It looks to be a fairly small race with maybe five-hundred participants. As the start time approaches, the call to line up in the corrals come and I make my way to the three hour section, which is what I'm hoping for. We'll see how that prediction turns out. 

At the appointed time and with no obvious gun shot or horn that I could hear, I see the runners in front of me moving forward as those in front of them move further forward and eventually start running as they pass under the arch. I make my way and begin with a pretty slow pace. The course quickly turns through a section of the town and predictably, my bladder decides to let me know that it's time for another stop. I leave the course and make use of a nearby Hardee's restroom, before returning to my slow paced run.


Soon, the course enters Gulf Shores State park along some paved paths. It's quite pretty here and all of the palms give a sense of the tropics. I can already feel myself getting tired after the first two miles and decide to walk some small up-hills. I'm not feeling bad, but I just don't have the stamina since I haven't been training. The aid stations are plentiful and spaced out at about every mile-and-a-half or so. I alternate between water and gaterade at each of them in an attempt to keep myself well hydrated. The air temperature is just about perfect hovering around sixty degrees.

After about the six-mile mark, the course turns south and then west to run along the southern border of the park. I've been doing a mix of walking and running for the past couple of miles, but maintaining a reasonable pace overall given my current physical condition. Around mile eight though, I feel the first of some shooting pains in my calves. I have felt these before when I hadn't been training regularly and tried to push myself too much. Soon, the pain intensifies and I'm forced to walk even more. It seems that the muscles used for walking don't really irritate the same spot as running does.

The course enters a salt marsh area and our path is now along very long and well-constructed board walks for the next couple of miles. I try to run a bit more at various points, but the pain becomes debilitating and after only a few steps, I'm forced back to a walk. There goes my hopes for a reasonable time. I should have known better than to try and run a half without training. Ah well, I think to myself again how this might be just the kick in the ass that I need.

The final section of the course returns runners to town and eventually along the beach to finish where we started. I cross the finish line at 3:05:18, which is ridiculously slow, but given the pain I'm experiencing in my calves right now, I really don't care about that. I grab a banana and water, as the race volunteers place my finishing medal around my neck. After that, I find a place to sit down for a few minutes. 

I'm hurting, but I need to get back to the hotel, shower, and get on the road towards home. I muster the will power to get all of this accomplished. Just as I pull out of the hotel parking lot, the rains begin and will continue for me all the way home. It was a really great and well-organized race held in a beautiful and fun little town. I just wish I had been in better shape for it and wasn't in so much pain now. I make a promise to myself that I will get back in shape starting as soon as I've recovered from this current situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment