Friday, February 3, 2023

Bond Swamp (Twiggs County, Georgia)

 
I'm on my way to the Georgia coast for the weekend, but along the way I thought I would stop off and check out Bond Swamp, which is a wildlife refuge south of Macon, GA. I've wanted to visit this place for a while, but hadn't had a reason for the long drive until now.

Once I left I-75, it was relatively easy to find the parking area for the Beaver Swamp Trailhead. I parked my car and began exploring. I was only able to get a few hundred yards before I ran into the swampy forest floor. With all of the recent rain, much of the trail is under water right now. I turned back and hiked the opposite direction, but found similar conditions that way as well. To be honest, this area seems like it would be more interesting to hunters, who are able to use this area during specified times of the year. As for hiking, it doesn't seem to be an ideal location, but it was nice to get out and stretch my legs at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment