Saturday, February 10, 2024

Big Trees Forest Preserve (Fulton County, Georgia)


I just finished running the Tartan Trot 5k and decided that I wanted a little bit more of a workout for my out-of-shape old body. Nearby, is a small wooded park that I've been wanting to check out for a while and this seemed the perfect opportunity. Big Trees Forest Preserve sits in the middle of the Atlanta Suburb of Sandy Springs surrounded by the hustle and bustle of city life. Here, though, the creators of this little refuge found a way preserve a little bit of sanity in all the madness. 


Parking this time of day was easy and I quickly hit the trail in my running gear. The trail network is well marked and well maintained as it weaves its way through a small wooded area. There are some largish trees here, but having spent time with the Giant Sequoias and Coastal Redwoods of California and even more recently, with the Angle Oak in South Carolina, I struggle to think of these as truly 'big'. Nevertheless, it is a beautiful little park. A small stream runs through and several bridges have built across it throughout. 

I encounter a number of other hikers of all ages along the way. I can really see this being a place of quite contemplation during the busy day or an escape from the office during someone's lunch hour. It's a very nice park and while I'm only able to get in about 1.4 miles, I would recommend a visit to anyone in the area if you just want a little solitude and some fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment