Sunday, February 4, 2024

Colonial Dorchester (Dorchester County, South Carolina)


Continuing on my way home from Charleston, SC and a weekend on Bull Island, I stopped off to visit the Colonial Dorchester State Historic Site near Summerville. This now abandoned town was founded in 1696 by settlers from Massachusetts. The town thrived as a trading post due to it's location on the Ashley River. However, the town was devastated by the Revolutionary War and never seemed to recover.

Today, the state has preserved what remains of the town's structures. Though not much now, the old church bell tower was once the centerpiece of a thriving community. I stroll around the grounds and take note of the informational placards. A foundation here and there is all that remains of the many houses that once lined these streets. Closer to the river, the tabby walls of Fort Dorchester remain. This would have likely served as a protective fortification during the war. 

Walking down closer to the river, I can understand why this was such an important trade center. The river is wide enough and likely deep enough to navigate cargo vessels through. Some of the timber retainer walls remain from these earlier days (or more likely have been replaced). I take not of the alligator warning sign. I am in South Carolina after all. After finishing my walk around the area, I return to my car and head for home. It's a great little stop for anyone in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment