Sunday, August 4, 2024

Watson Mill Bridge (Madison County, Georgia)

 

It's been very hot and humid the last few days and with my wife traveling for work, I needed to stay with my mother. I thought today though we might get out early and explore a little state park that I've been wanting to visit. There's not much hiking involved and I thought she would benefit from a little exercise. 

Watson Mill Bridge is the site of a small state park preserving the longest covered wooden bridge in the state of Georgia. Spanning 229 feet across the South Fork of the Broad River, the bridge was built in 1885 and includes a two lattice truss system. The site includes a small spillway that allows the shallow river water to flow under the bridge and then onto a natural water slide made up of the native stone. With the water level being very low, the slide is more like a series of small stone islands that allow me to hop out a ways into the river and get a couple of good shots. 

We only stay a few minutes as I don't want my mother getting overheated, but she said she enjoyed the time outdoors and away from home. I don't know that this little park was worth the drive to get here, but if you happen to be in the area, it's worth a stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment