Sunday, August 25, 2024

Whites Mill Trail (Barrow County, Georgia)


For my last hike of the weekend, I drove east of my house and headed to Whites Mill Park. I had attempted to hike here earlier in the week after work one evening, but traffic was atrocious as it always seems to be in Atlanta (Google suggested it was going take me about an hour and twenty minutes to drive the twenty miles to the park from my house). Anyway, I'll get it done today.


The trail begins from a gravel parking lot and seems to be pretty popular as there are several cars here. It starts out simple enough as a wide path through the woods with brown pine needles creating a soft carpet. As I approach Cedar Creek at the northernmost point of the trail, I see a large rock outcropping that offers a nice view of the stone slicks below that the creek is flowing over. It seems this area was home to a grist mill a century or more ago, but nothing of it remains. After taking a couple of photos, I continue along the loop trail.

The entire trail system here is well maintained and I had no issues whatsoever. I encountered a few other hikers, some with their leashed pups. Soon, I arrived back a the parking area, ready to head home. This trail added about 1.9 miles to my weekend total. It is a really nice trail and pretty close to home. If it wasn't for the traffic, I might hike here regularly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment