Monday, October 7, 2024

Valley of Fire - Petroglyph Canyon via Mouse's Tank Trail (Clark County, Nevada)

 

The Mouse's Tank area is one of my favorite sections of Valley of Fire State Park. I've hiked this trail probably three or four times during my time living in Nevada and it never disappoints. After parking, I start the short hike in the searing sand and begin making my way to the tank. 

Along the way, I scan the red cliffs covered in desert varnish for the many, many petroglyphs I know are present here. Before long, I spot the first ones and then more, and more. The canyon walls are covered with hundreds of figures - some recognizable, some more alien. Some of the other hikers around me notice me taking pictures and realize what I'm photographing. They begin to scan the walls themselves.

This continues for the short 1/3 mile hike before I reach Mouse's Tank itself. This area is named for a Southern Paiute called Mouse, who hid in this area in the 1890's after being accused of killing two prospectors in the area. Though the history is not clear, it's likely that Mouse was hunted, found, and killed by settlers to the area. The small canyon and water catches at the end now bear his name.

The tank itself at the end of the canyon exists in the shadow of the sandstone and even now at the end of summer and in this sweltering heat is full of water. I imagine Mouse chose this area to hide in specifically because he knew there would be water available. For now though, it's time for me to head back and get to the airport. I have a flight to catch, but it's always great to revisit this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment