Saturday, August 9, 2003

Upper Natural Bridge of Calveras County (Calveras County, California)

I was a little unsure of this hike, at least with regards to what I should expect. The well cut, but stony trail descends to an area along a peaceful creek. At the base of the trail is a water carved cave of magnificent proportions. There is a shallow pool underneath a stalactite-covered roof. In total it is the size of an average swimming pool. At the far end, is a water carved tunnel about ten feet in diameter. 



I watch as some adventurers use flotation rafts to explore further into the tunnel. I am very envious that I didn’t bring such an object, as this appears to be quite exhilarating. I will return here someday with the proper gear.

That wonderful, wet cave smell fills the air and the water is as clean and cold as any other spring water that I have ever touched.



Just a few yards downstream is an area that has a floor of what I believe to be marble. It is smooth to the touch and contains the beautiful dark strand patterns that we are all familiar with. This quiet stream has fashioned a canal through the marble over time. It appears now, so perfect as to make one think that it was designed this way. Small minnow have found a place in this canal to call home and dart off as I dip my hand in the cool, refreshing water.

While, as I said, I didn’t know what to expect of this trail, it turned out to be an extremely enjoyable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment