Sunday, August 29, 2004

Lover's Leap (El Dorado, California)

As I write these words, I am sitting on the summit of a shear granite face, known as Lover’s Leap; quite an obvious name for a point such as this. Leaning over the rock I’m sitting on, the objects in the valley below, some 700 ft down appear as ants on the pavement. This area provides breathtaking views of the American River Valley and a bird’s eye view of the charming little hamlet of Strawberry.

I can certainly see why the local signs speak of a rock climber’s paradise. While I took a relatively easy trail to get here, I felt a bit squeamish as I ventured along the crumbling granite overhangs. The steepness of these faces would be enough to induce a heart attack in those so prone. Add to that, the sudden gusts of wind, which suddenly seem to be at home up here and I too feel the need to constantly double-check my footing.



One can’t help but feel a bit divine up here. Looking down on the lowlands, must be something like looking down from Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment