Sunday, August 11, 2013

Glen Aulin (Yosemite National Park, California)

In an attempt to make the most efficient use of my time today, I rose very early hoping to see a few shooting stars as part of the Persiod Meteor Shower. While I get to see on, I was unfortunately going in the opposite direction of where the concentration was. It was still worth it though as I arrived at my first at my first destination at around 8:15 AM.

While I have spent a lot of time in Yosemite over the years, Tuolumne Meadows is an area I have only really driven through. That changes today. My destination is the High Sierra Camp of Glen Aulin, approximately 6.0 miles from the Lembert Dome trail head.

 
The Tuolumne River meanders along through the peaceful meadow for the first three or so miles before things get a little more active. That is not to say that this first three miles is less attractive. On the contrary, it is a peaceful wonderland with granite domes all around. When I first encounter the river, I note two deer getting a cool morning drink from the clear river running beside my trail. The trail is relatively flat through this section, which allows me to make pretty good time.

As I stop at a site to take a few pictures though, a pack train of mules passes me on the way to bring supplies to Glen Aulin. As the driver notices me and that I'm making good time, he stops the mules and offers me a chance to pass him again, and so I do. Just a little further, I cross a wooden bridge over the river and await the mules crossing to snap a shot.

 
From this point forward, the river begins a series of cascading falls, as it begins to enter the Grand Canyon of the
 
Tuolumne, which I hope to backpack through next season. In the meantime, these gorgeous falls will have to suffice. They are in all varieties along the way, the tallest I see is about 40 feet, but beyond is a worn granite dome with the water covering it and sliding down to the next deep hole. The trail along this area is quite a bit more rugged with loss and gain of elevation at every turn. Luckily, granite steps have been fashioned to make the ascent and descent a bit easier.

Even though, I know the mules are just a little behind me, I have to stop to take several shots. The scenery here is just beautiful. I wish I could spend part of every day in places like this, but I'll just have to settle for the frequent weekend for now.

Continuing onward, I finally arrive at Glen Aulin after crossing a couple more foot bridges. The camp is pretty bare, but I would expect as much this late in a hiker's day. It's about 11:00 AM. I stop long enough to use the restroom, which is little more than four walls surrounding a hole in the ground, eat some jerky and rehydrate, and remove some layers. It was cool when I started this morning 41 degrees according to the jeep, but it certainly has warmed up. I'm guessing it's around 70 now. I remove the thin fleece I have over my t-shirt and proceed to unzip the lower sections of my convertible pants in order to change them to shorts. All my business here concluded, I start on my way back. In total, I was only stopped for about 10 minutes at Glen Aulin, but it was a nice rest.

 
The trail back follows the same route along the waterfalls and pristine serenity of the Tuolumne. Along the way, I chat with a couple who tell me about an amazing steak dinner they had at Glen Aulin last night. Perhaps, I will eat one of those next year when I return to this place, but for now, I'm glad to see the jeep. My legs are pretty tired after a 13 mile hike, but it was well worth it, as any trip to Yosemite always is.

No comments:

Post a Comment