Saturday, August 31, 2013

Diamond Peak (Washoe County, Nevada)


The last couple of weeks have offered very poor conditions for any hiking adventures nearby, as the Rim Fire continues to burn the magnificent forests of Western Yosemite and fill the air in Reno (150 miles North) with a choking haze. The air quality index has been hovering around 200 (unhealthy) for most of that time and has made me reluctant to venture out for any milage on the nearby trails.


Yesterday and today though, the smoke let up somewhat and I decided to heed John Muir's words: "The mountains are calling, and I must go." And so, to Tahoe I went. I had hoped to hike with a friend today and knock off a section of the Tahoe Rim Trail, but unfortunately, plans changed and I was on my own. I decided to out and back half a section (or nearly half) of the TRT. Starting at the lush area known as Tahoe Meadows, I left later in the day this time, around noon.

The trail meanders through the meadow at a leisurely slope, as it cross over Ophir creek and then enters the forest. In the winter, I often snow-shoe in this area. It's alwasy intersting to me to see the small trees scattered throughout the meadow at their full height instead of appearing as tiny seedlings poking out of the top of several feet of snow. Continuing alont the trail, it skirts the mountainside as it makes it's way through granit boulders and alpine forest. I can only barely taste the smoke in the air. It looks like I picked a good day to do this trail.


The trail offers some nice views of Lake Tahoe, and eventually a view looking East over Washoe Lake, which is a shallow body of water about halfway between Reno and Carson City. After about five and a half miles, I eventually reach my destination, Diamond Peak. I meet a couple of fellow hikers at the base of the ski-lift tower, which sits precariously on this peak. I discover they are overnighting the entire section from Tahoe Meadows to Spooner Summit (23 miles). I'm jealous, but wish them well on their journeys. Once again, I am amazed how amazing the attitude of most hikers is. There truly is a sense of community on the trail, and if only we could all get along in the rest of the world as well as we do in the forest or on the mountaintops.

 
After a short waterbreak, I start heading back to the trailhead. In total, I logged about 11.5 miles along this trail. I really hope to someday to be able to complete the 165 miles of the TRT, preferrably as a through hike, but that will depend on time off from work. Sitting on a three day weekend, I may attempt to get some more trail time in on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment