Sunday, September 8, 2013

Paradise Lake (Nevada County, California)

 
For a few weeks, I've been wanting to hike up to Paradise Lake, which rests alongside and above another lake I visited a couple of years ago, Warren Lake, though the trail to Paradise goes around the western side of Castle Peak, while the trail to Warren travels the eastern route around the mountain. I got a reasonably early start and drove to the Donner Pass PCT trail head. There was some type of event going on there, as there were musicians and other performers along the path from the trailhead parking lot to the actual Pacific Crest Trail, but I didn't take the time to do anything with it, as I had a pretty long hike ahead of me.

 
Making my way around a small meadow and through the tunnels that go underneath Interstate 80, I began making way up the granite boulders and eventually to the forested area, with Castle Peak supervising from above. As I discovered after talking to some fellow hikers who joined the trail further in, there is another trailhead on the northern side of the interstate. The effect of this was adding an additional five miles to the overall hike, but it was worth it for the exercise.


After making my way down from Castle Peak Summit, I entered an amazing little meadow bounded by Castle Peak itself and the ridge leading up to the peak. On the west side of this area sits an abandoned hut, apparently built by Peter Grub in the late 1930's. It is apparently used by PCT hikers often as an overnight station, but is currently closed and in need of repairs, as stated by a Sierra Club sign on the entrances.


Continuing onward, I find meadow after meadow, including one with an amazing overlook into the western Sierra Nevada Range and some colorful flora to boot. I had anticipated this trail being somewhat lonely today, but I was surprised to see a lot of fellow adventures out and a about. Thinking back, I guess I should have realized that this being one of the most famous and popular through-hike trails in the world, there would a lot of people on it. In total, I probably encountered two dozen hikers along my way to the lake.

 
After the final meadow, I entered a maze of granite and realizing, I was close to the lake, but loosing the trail, I simply scrambled up the granite boulders to eventually find Paradise Lake sitting in a pool carved out of granite. The lake has a number of small islands dotting it, and by small, I mean that most are about the size of a tent footprint. The water is cool and crystal clear, as one might expect in a remote alpine lake like this is. So peaceful up here. I wish I had more time to stay, but I have to head home.

 
I consume a few calories, take in a bit of sun, and start the long trail back. About 4 miles into the trip back, my knee decides to go haywire and I pop a couple of pain killers and take a short rest before continuing on. A couple of ladies pass me while I'm resting on a boulder and offer me some Advil, but I politely decline explaining that I've already taken something for it. The kindness and generosity of hikers never ceases to amaze me.

I eventually make my way back to the trailhead. In total, this trail took me about eight hours and carried me just over 20 miles, making this the longest single day hike I have ever done. I'm exhausted and wearing a knee brace as I collect my thoughts and write all this up, but it was definitely worth it. Paradise Lake is a beautiful hike and today gave me a taste of the PCT, which I hope to someday complete as a through-hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment