Sunday, May 11, 2014

Hunter Creek Falls (Washoe County, Nevada)


I was just wanting to get a quick hike in this weekend to put some miles in, and perhaps find a new trail near town. The trail to the Hunter Creek Falls looked like a good fit. The trailhead is in the foothills just west of town, which makes it a very popular destination on a clear spring day. Arriving at the parking lot, I was greeted by a large crowd of fellow hikers. 

Hopping across some conveniently placed rocks, I cross the creek for the first time and begin the uphill trek south towards the waterfalls. The trail climbs steadily while running along the western side of the canyon, parallel to, but well above the creek. There are several sections where the trail is nearly washed out and I have to watch my footing closely. In addition, there is also a lot of loose shale carpeting the trail in places.


The view looking ahead further into the canyon is outstanding, as the trail winds in and out of small side offshoots of the main canyon. Eventually, I reach a lightly forested area. The shade is a nice change and gives me a nice chance to cool off. Crossing a bridge fashioned from some fallen logs, I make my way to the other side of a branch of the creek. And just a little bit further, three larger fallen logs form another bridge across the main branch and right to the foot of my destination.


Hunter Creek Fall is a two section fall, descending about 25 feet from the area above. A large fallen log stands atop the lower section of the falls and leans against the mouth. I stop for just a couple of minutes to get some water and an energy bar before heading back to the jeep. In total, it was only about 6.2 miles, but made for a nice quick trail that I will most likely visit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment