Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sierra Buttes (Sierra County, California)


A coworker of mine, Kent, had told me of a very scenic area north of Truckee, CA called the Sierra Buttes. For a few weeks, I have been debating on checking it out and today was the day. Though short, the trail climbs rigorously up the 8,587 mountain, which oversees the valleys 5000 feet below and everything to the horizon in all directions.

The drive to the trail head is incredibly scenic as highway 49 and then the Gold Lake Highway wind around the valleys. Eventually, I reached the turn down Packer Lake Road, which isn't wide enough for two cars. There were several cars parked at the trail head, but I didn't see nearly as many hikers on the trail.

The trail starts on a fairly steep incline and only gets steeper from there. The first section is covered with wild flowers and very little shade. The views from either side of this ridge line are spectacular and surveying the Buttes above me, I spot the Fire Watch Tower that is my destination, atop the highest peak. Wow . . . that is a long, long way up there.


Continuing, the trial wanders through a lightly forested area in and around house-sized boulders, but still straight up, with not much of a break from the climb. I pass a few other groups coming down the trail and offer a greeting, which is always returned.

Further up the mountain, the trail joins with a fire service road before finally reaching the top. While it would extremely precarious, I bet it would amazing fun to drive the jeep up this rugged road. 


Crossing a small, but deep patch of snow, the steep staircases come in to site. As I read, the watch tower and dangerously steep stairs were constructed by a group of five fire-fighters in 1964, making the entire project 50 years old this year. I carefully climb the several sets of stairs, holding on to the railing carefully with each step. Once I reach the top, I find the view completely breathtaking. I can see for 50+ miles in every direction. To the North, I spot the snow-covered Lassen Peak, which I saw yesterday from a completely different angle. I carefully make my way around the platforms which go all the way around the watch tower. I see lakes below me. The Tamarack Lakes to the northwest and Upper and Lower Sardine Lake to the northeast. I'm also able to see a wide trail in the distance valleys, which I presume is the Pacific Crest Trail, I know it runs near here. 




After easing my way back down the steep staircases, I begin the trek back to the jeep. Downhill is always so much easier, but more strenuous on the toes and knees. Nearing the end of the trail, I encounter a couple inquiring about the view from the top. We get to talking a bit and the gentlemen reveals to me that he had made a failed attempt to hike up Mt. Shasta two weeks prior. At 11k, he started showing signs of altitude sickness. As I will be climbing to an even higher elevation when I climb up Mt. Whitney in a couple of months, I take a few minutes to acquaint myself with the symptoms he displayed. Learning about this now could be very helpful in the near future. I thank him for his advice and finish out the trail.

Reaching the jeep, I stop my GPS tracking app and find that I have hiked just a little shy of 5 miles, but the elevation gain was about 1750 over the first half of that distance. That is pretty steep. I would definitely recommend this hike to anyone, as the panoramic views are outstanding, but if you are fearful of heights, it may not be for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment