Saturday, June 7, 2014

Butte Lake to Snag Lake Loop (Lassen Volcanic National Park, California)


As the season moves on, I'm trying to find longer and longer, harder and harder hikes to do in the general area. A couple of years ago, I hiked up the Cinder Cone volcano in the north eastern corner of Lassen Volcanic National Park. From the top, I could see several lakes in the distance and since then, I've wanted to explore the area a bit more. After researching a little bit, I chose a nice 14ish mile loop that passes Cinder Cone, the Fantastic Lava Beds, and circles two of the larger lakes in the park, Butte Lake and Snag Lake.

As I had the top down on the jeep and didn't want to freeze on the way over to the park, I didn't leave until about 8:30. The drive through Susanville, CA and to the Butte Lake entrance to he park takes a little over two hours. After checking in at the ranger station and getting set up, I got on the trail right at 11:00.


The first three or so miles of trail has a slight uphill climb as the trail skirts its way around the base of Prospect Peak and sneaks past Cinder Cone. The difficulty of the trail in this section relates to the black volcanic ash that covers the entire landscape like a fresh snowfall. After passing Cinder Cone, the trail hugs the Fantastic Lava Beds nearly all the way to Snag Lake. This lava flow covers the landscape in sharp black boulders that lay over the land like a thick blanket. In addition, several sections are colored with a magnificent palette of reds and yellows - quite striking. In the distance, the mighty snow-covered Lassen Peak looms over the park. I intend to hike to the top of this 10k'er later in the year.



Continuing on, the lava flow stops at the northern end of Snag Lake. As I reach the shore, I stop to hydrate and have a small snack. I found some chili lime beef jerky from a company called Krave, and I think it may be the best jerky I have ever tasted. While taking my rest, I chat with a group of three backpackers that have stopped to take a break here in the shade as well. As I have stated many times before, the friendly nature of people on the trail is always amazing to me. I say my farewells and start on my loop around the lake.


The section just beyond has been obviously devastated by fire in recent years, as the landscape is littered with fallen and charred trees. The loop continues on around the lake and intercepts a couple of other trails along the way. At one of the intersections, I encounter another fellow outdoors-man who is a little confused on this directions. He has come from one of the higher, smaller lakes and is looking to do a 25ish mile loop. We pull out our maps and get him back on the right track heading back the way I came in. We part ways with a 'safe travels' and I'm back to my trek.

The next several miles of the trail are fairly uneventful, and unfortunately, a little boring. The trail meanders through the forest, with very little deviation to catch one's attention. The rangers had mentioned that they had yet to do this trail this year and weren't sure of the conditions. There are several felled trees blocking my path that require me to either go around or climb over.


As I come to about the halfway mark of the hike, I encounter a small creek that obviously feeds Snag Lake. A small bridge has been constructed to allow the trail to pass over it. I continue a couple more miles through the  forest along the eastern side of the lake. Signs of the drought that the Western United States has been in for a few years now are painfully obvious as the shore of the lake has receded several dozen yards form where it once was.


I had hoped to pass along the eastern side of the lava beds through this section between the lakes, and while I know they are there looming in the distance, they really can be scene for the forest. Finally, I reach the southern end of Butte Lake. While the trails haven't been overly populated today, I encounter a number of hikers and kayakers through this section. 


The trail continues to run right beside the blue lake as it wanders over and through volcanic stones. Finally, I reach the northern end of the lake and begin the crossing back to the trial head. Generally speaking, the trail has been pretty flat the entire distance (other than the first section through the Cinders), but now, it works its way up several switchbacks to climb a small conical peak. 

Finally, I return to my jeep. All in total, the hike was just short of 15 miles and was the longest distance I've covered in several months. While several sections of the trail offers some really beautiful scenery, the long stretch of unremarkable forest makes me think I probably won't do this entire loop again. Not that it was a bad hike, but most of the scenery can been seen doing the trail as an out and back.


No comments:

Post a Comment