Saturday, July 5, 2014

Castle Peak (Nevada County, California)


More peaks! Driving Interstate 80 near Truckee, CA, it's difficult to miss the interesting Castle Peak, which sits just a couple of miles north of the highway. As you can see from the pictures, the top of the mountain looks very much like a series of castle ramparts atop the ridge - quite striking!

I have done a few hikes in this area that passed by this landmark mountain, including Paradise Lake and Warren Lake, but today I decided to actually hike to the top of Castle Peak. As we have plans this evening with friends, my time is limited and this out-and-back hike seemed about perfect for the time I had available.


Arriving at the parking lot just north of Boreal Ski Resort, I found dozens of cars parked all along both sides of the road, and while a rough dirt road lead further into the forest, I wanted the mileage. I found a tight little parking spot between some trees. Thankfully, my jeep is able to rock climb very easily and allow me to situation myself pretty well.

The first half of the hike follows the modest incline of the dirt road up the ridge. I pass a number of fellow hikers and I am passed by a number of mountain bikers. As I reach a clearing in the forest, the road ends and the trail begins . . . and the steepness begins. this is the large bend visible in the map and marks the point where the trail begins to get more difficult.

After passing the saddle of Castle Pass, where a couple of other trials split off, I continue curving around the ridge with a great view of my destination in front of me. From here on out though, footing the pretty unsure, as I scramble over rocks and slip on the gravel. The incline here has to be at least 45 degrees and makes for some slow going. I slip a couple of times, but manage to catch myself with no damage done.


The trail closer to the top also requires a bit of path-finding, as numerous secondary trails snake around the boulders and loose gravel on this stony western side of the mountain. Finally, I make it to the top and take a couple of minutes to admire the spectacular views available from up here. Thanks to the clear day, I can see probably 50-75 miles in all directions.


Making my way down this steep later half of the trail was pretty treacherous and required me to go quite a bit slower than I'm used to in order to ensure I didn't slip to my death. I eventually reach the trail head again and make for home. Nearly six miles to reach the highest point (9,109 feet) atop Castle Peak has made for a pretty strenuous, but rewarding hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment