Friday, July 4, 2014

Relay Peak (Washoe County, Nevada)


It's the Fourth of July and I thought a great way to start the day would be to do a 11-mile hike up to the top of the 10k Relay Peak overlooking Lake Tahoe. Getting a reasonably early start, I arrived at the Mt. Rose trail head at about 8:30 and started making my way to the Galena Creek Waterfall. This hike and it's alternate end point, the peak of Mt. Rose, to have some very nice scenery and provide a good workout, but the best thing about both of them is their proximity to Reno. It's easy to knock out 10 miles and be back around lunch.



At the falls, instead of taking the right turn toward Rose, I took, which follows the creek for a ways before eventually straying away from it on the ascent up Relay Peak. While it was pretty warm start, the wind and elevation quickly force me to put on a fleece, as I approach the communications tower on the peak just before Relay Peak.


This whole section is part of the Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT), which I hope to thru-hike later this year (if I can get all of the arrangements made). As I approach the top, I stop to chat with some members of the TRT who are out doing some trail maintenance. I have a healthy respect for what these individuals do and without them, the TRT would quickly fall into ruin. 


A short bit further and I arrive at the summit. The view from here is significantly better than that from Mt. Rose, which is 400 feet taller, but can mostly only boast of a view of the city of Reno below on its resume. From Relay Peak, Lake Tahoe to the south, Mt. Rose and Slide Mountain to the Northeast, and the distant Lassen Peak to the north all compete for the highlight.


After chatting with the folks on the trail, I decided to take an alternate path back to the trail head, which follows a Forestry Service road as it passes by the tiny, but appropriately named Frog Pond. Gazing into the water, I spot countless tad poles. I would guess this pond will just resonate with frog sound effects later in the year.


Eventually, I return to the trail head and make my way home. It was a great way to start the day though and I got a decent workout to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment