Sunday, February 28, 2016

Road to Nowhere Mountain (Washoe County, Nevada)

 

Looking east from pretty much anywhere in Reno, the 6k peak that we commonly refer to as Road to Nowhere Mountain is visible, as the tallest peak on eastern mountain-scape surrounding the valley. So named due for what appears to be a road on its western slopes that abruptly ends. While I have climbed this small mountain before, today seemed like a good day to revisit it and try to remember the route to the summit.


The trail starts at Hidden Valley Regional Park, at which I arrive a little before 9:00. As this peak is very near my home, I didn't feel the need to get started too early. Squeezing through a cattle gate, I hit the trail and immediately greeted by one of the many wild mustangs that survive on the fringes of town. How great it is to find such a magnificent symbol of the west at the start of a good hike.

I soon find the the trail leading steeply upwards into the surrounding hills. It is a combination of hiking trail and horse path. This area is home to many wild mustangs who roam these hills year round. I'm not sure this the same trail I have taken in the past, as it seems more steep, but it provides a good leg workout nonetheless.


Wriggling through these hills can pose a challenge and it is essential to keep a bearing on one's destination, as the peak I'm headed for is hidden from sight time and time again. The trail is nice and dry, which makes for an easy hike, other than the elevation gain of course. Finally reaching a saddle, which I remember from my previous trip up this mountain, I start a scramble up the sharp rocks to the top of the mountain, all the while try my best to follow the hidden horse trails. 


Reaching the summit, I find the pyre of rocks that I was expecting. In addition, there is a military ammunition box on the side of the pile. I open it to investigate and find that it is a geocache. I sign the log book and offer the phrase "be excellent to each other" to any that may read the book in the future. I linger for a short time on this mountain top overlooking the city of Reno. My mind clears in places like this and my mind is often a mess these days. Finding some sense of peace at a place like this is a necessary activity for me. Up here my trouble soul sings. Up here I can breath. Up here all worldly cares seem insignificant and I can be one with the world around me. I fear the day that I will be physically unable to visit places like this. When my times comes, may be it swift.


Retreading a path down the hill, I decide to find a less steep trail that I might use on future visits. These hills are full of criss-crossing trails and I soon come upon a familiar site. A collection of used couches and recliners set up a round a fire pit fashioned from local stones. Judging by the shotgun shells, this is obviously a place for teenage drunken festivities, not unlike those I grew up with, but with more mountains. The high desert has a singular beauty, perhaps not appreciated by some, but I truly enjoy the landscapes here. 


Arriving back at the trail head, head for home. A short hike of just under six miles, but I have been wanting to revisit this summit for a while. I shall return.


No comments:

Post a Comment