Thursday, June 30, 2016

Dry Pond (Washoe County, Nevada)


I always enjoy doing short hikes after work when time and daylight allow. When I saw this posting from one of the area Meetup Groups to Dry Pond, I thought it would be a good opportunity to get a few miles in and learn a new trail. Pulling into the designated meeting spot, the hike leader immediately came by and confirmed that I was there for the hike. I then followed him over to the trailhead, which was only a couple of miles away. We were on trail by 5:45pm, which gave us plenty of time to get back by dark.

The Dry Pond Trail is a relatively recent addition to the Washoe Count trail system. It actually connects the Thomas Creek and Rim-to-Reno Trails to the Jones-Whites Creek trail system, which departs out of Galena Park.


As we start down the well maintained path, the narrow but rapidly flowing Thomas Creek parallels us offering a nice soundtrack to our adventures. In total we are a party of five, plus two well-behaved and friendly pooches. A number of trees have been taken down by the forest service along the trail, most likely in an effort to keep the trail safe from falling debris. Many of the logs have made their way into the creek and now create small obstacles and waterfalls to add character.


At about 1.5 miles in, we leave the Thomas Creek Trail and turn onto the Dry Pond connector. From there, we follow a number of easy switchbacks up the shallow mountainside, finally arriving at Dry Pond. Given the above average snowfall this year, we all expected a little bit of water to remain in the pond, but Mother Nature has taken it all and the pond lives up to its name. It is a really beautiful sight though, with Slide Mountain and Mount Rose in the background.


We linger for a short time and decide to head on. My companions choose to circle around the longer way, but as I have a concert to get to later this evening, I bid them happy trails and turn back the way we came. I double-time it back and as the trail is so well maintained, I get distracted looking at something on my phone just in time to roll my ankle on a loose stone - OUUUCCCHHHH!!! That was a pretty bad one that I'm going to regret on Saturday, as I have a run to do in Downtown St. Louis. Stupidity on my part - pay attention to the trail, not your phone! Anyway, I arrive back at the jeep in a bit of pain, but in one piece. I covered just about 5 miles in total. I would like to return to this trail sometime soon and do some trail-running, as I have been passed by a number people this evening taking advantage of the easy grades. For now, I will go home and wrap my ankle and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment