Friday, June 3, 2016

Reno-Tahoe Odyssey 2016 (Lake Tahoe, Nevada and California)

 

A couple of years ago, I started running during the winter to maintain some level of fitness in the off-season. As I got into it more and more, I began running local 5k's for charity and other events. I found that I enjoyed it and also, that I felt really good being able to run longer distances without collapsing from lack of breath. I learned a year or so ago of a rather 'hard-core' relay race called the Reno-Tahoe Odyssey. This race challenges teams of 12 runners to run three legs each, totaling 178 miles as the official path circumnavigates Lake Tahoe and passes through the cities of Reno, NV, Carson City, NV, Virginia City, NV, Truckee, CA, South Lake Tahoe, CA and several other smaller communities. The trick is that the relay is non-stop. In other words, one runner from the team is running at any given moment from the time the first one (leg 1) leaves Reno to the time the final (leg 36) returns to Idlewild Park in Downtown Reno. This means that some legs are run in the middle of the night and that no runner is able to get more than a couple of hours of sleep.

Early in the year, my search began for a team, as I wanted to participate in this gnarly physical and mental challenge. I utilized social media to put out a call, which was quickly answer by a former co-worker. His wife had just joined a team that still had a couple of spots remaining. I reached out and was accepted into the team. It turns out the team is home to several other former co-workers and is a well-oiled machine of organization, after having run the event the past 4 years.

Occasional team meet-ups began in late January to allow teammates to mingle and to begin planning for the event. In fact, this team is not a team, but two teams that work in tandem. This allows a total of 24 runners to participate and for each runner to partner up for each leg. The team captains had already started working out logistics for transportation, lodging, etc. After getting to know them, I was in awe of what great people I was going to be running with and how well they had planned every aspect of the 30-ish hour event.

When race day came, we had been divided up into 2 vans with 12 runners each. Those pairs of runners assigned legs 1-6, 13-18 and 25-30 would travel in van 1, while those pairs assigned legs 7-12, 19-24 and 31-36. Van 1 started their legs at approximately 9:15 am on Friday 6/3, while Van 2 would meet up at 1:00 pm and await the leg 6 runner to hand off the 'baton', which is actually a small, reflective wristband. Upon arriving at the designated meeting spot, we loaded our van with supplies (clothes, lots of water, snacks, etc.) and headed to Boca to await our first set of legs. 

My first leg assigned section, was leg 10, which passes through Squaw Valley on the northwest side of Lake Tahoe as it gradually climbs into the Sierra Nevada. Total distance for this leg was listed as 5 miles, but when actually running, I showed it as 4.8. It wasn't a terribly difficult leg and I felt pretty good running with my partner, Sean. Luckily with the sun going down, it provided us with a lot of shade and the run wasn't overly hot. We completed it in respectable time and cheered our van 2 teammates on as they ran their sections. One of the great things about this experience is the camaraderie. Each van stays relatively near their runners to provide support in the form of water, vocal motivation, music or whatever else the current runner may require. After complete leg 12, we headed to a nearby cabin owned by the brother-in-law of one of our runners. There we were able to clean-up and get a couple of hours of sleep. 



Rising to the call at a little after midnight, we quickly packed and headed to relieve van 1 and start our next sections, 19-24. Our team is much more about having fun while completing the event, than focusing on competing for the win, but nonetheless, we do take our runs and our times seriously. We rejoined van 1 in South Lake Tahoe, and watched a couple of our stronger runners power their way up Kingsbury Grade. This is one steep bastard of a section, with winding roads and non-stop incline. While it was challenging, they made it look easy. Continuing on, we knocked out the next couple of legs and eventually my turn came up again for leg 22 running through Genoa, NV. At 3:30 am, it was bit chilly at this elevation, but once running it felt pretty good. Obviously, it was still dark outside and wisely, the organization that manages the event mandates a number of safety protocols during the nighttime sections, including headlamps/flashlights, reflective/illuminated vests, etc. My section wasn't overly challenging, but it was 5.8 miles and included some up and down hill sections. I pushed myself a bit more on this section, as I was feeling pretty good. I was able to get a few 'kills', which is what it is called when you pass another runner from an opposing team. I arrived at the runner exchange about 8 minutes ahead of Sean and was glad for the time, which allowed me to use the restroom and hydrate. 



We knew that Reno was suppose to reach temperatures around 100 degrees this afternoon (Saturday 6/4) and had heard that the RTO Administration had offered the option for all van 2 runners to start their last set of legs as soon as they finished their second set in order to allow early finishes and to hopefully avoid putting the afternoon runners in danger of heat stroke. This essentially means that van 1's runners would be running at the same time as van 2's runners for the final 12 legs. Completion times would be calculated by adding the times together. As we were a bit intimidated (rightfully so) by these scary temperatures, we decided to take advantage of the option, and skipped our rest. After finish leg 24, van 2 headed directly to Virginia City, NV and started leg 31. We pushed and pushed and pushed on each leg as we could taste completion. When my leg 34 came up at about 10:30 am, it had already reached the mid-80's, but Sean and I were determined to knock out it in style. With plenty of van support to keep us cool, wet and hydrated, I forced myself to run every last step of the leg, with Sean just a couple of minutes behind me. My times were not impressive, as I run high 10-minute miles on this 4.8 mile section, but I ran . . . I didn't walk, which was a personal goal for me.



Finishing our leg, we handed off to our next runners and provided significant van support as we sprayed our runners down with ice-cold water every 200-400 yards. It paid off, as non of our runners suffered any form of heat exhaustion. While supporting our runners of the final leg, van 1 showed up for double support as we neared the finish line. We met up near the finish line, and as our final two runners reached 50 or so yards from the line, our entire team of 24 runners ran across the finish line together. Glory was ours!!!

I admit that going into this event, I was a bit intimidated, but I was proud of my performance. I ran every step of every leg that I was assigned. I didn't walk, I didn't balk, I didn't back down. I'm not sure, but I think I am the oldest member of the team, having turned 43 just last week. The friendships I've made here, I expect will last into next years event and I'm grateful to all of the bold, kind and organized souls of my teammates for pushing us to such an amazing success. I look forward to next year!



No comments:

Post a Comment