Saturday, February 4, 2017

Death Valley Half-Marathon (Death Valley National Park, California)


The only time of year when a visit to Death Valley is practical is during the winter months. From about November to March, temperatures are mild enough to actually enjoy the raw beauty this underrated park has to offer, but during the rest of the year, it is may seem like hell with temperatures occasionally crossing the 120 degree mark. However, the other thing that the valley offers is extremely low elevation, much of it below sea level. With that said, it seems like a great place to hold a marathon/half-marathon during the winter months and as I'm training for multiple events later in the year, I decided to participate.


I left work a couple of hours early on Friday and drove down to Beatty, NV, which is just outside of the park. I was able to get an inexpensive but comfortable hotel room that allow me to crash for a few hours before the race. I awoke just before 5:00 AM and made my way to Furnace Creek, where the half-marathon would start.

I spent a few minutes picking up my bib, chatting with other runners, and hydrating myself before the start. Just after 8:00, the first wave, those running the full marathon, left the finish line. A few minutes after that, they lined up my group, those running the half-marathon. They counted down and a hundred or so of us were off. While I was already on my way down Highway 190, I believe a third wave of 10k-ers departed a few minutes after my group. 

The first mile or two of the course followed a wide bike path that runs parallel to the highway, but after that it rejoins the road. I felt really strong along this first section and passed a number of other runners, averaging a pace around 8:45 during this section. The low elevation and thick oxygen made it a little easier than in my home in Reno (4,000'). After rejoining the road, the course heads up steeply into some yellow hills, but it doesn't last long and soon we are running along the gentle rolling hills of of the valley.


I still felt strong as I follow the undulating hills overlooking the expansive salt flats of the floor of the valley. At the 3-mile mark, I grab a cup of water. Hydration in this arid environment is absolutely essential for runners. We push on and as I make the turn just after the 6.5 mile mark, I can feel myself starting to tire a bit, but I refuse to give up.


Heading back down the hills that I earlier climbed, the Furnace Creek oasis comes back into view and I know the finish line is close. I reach down and grab my second wind and make a break for the finish line, pushing my pace pretty hard for the last stretch. Checking my time, I crossed the finish line at just over 2:08, which beats my previous time (my only previous half-marathon) for a 13.1 mile run. The elevation certainly helped, but having the amazing desert scenery probably helped to some degree as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment