Saturday, February 11, 2017

Sonoma Coast (Sonoma County, California)


After looking over maps of the area, I discovered a little coastal park nearby Guerneville and decided to make this my next stop for the day. Besides, who am to deny myself a visit to see the crashing waves of the Pacific Ocean.

The short drive takes follows the Russian River as it empties into the ocean. The recent rains have caused considerable flooding along the river's shores, but the Pacific doesn't seem to notice. As I turn down the road to Goat Rock, I am greeted by what I came to see, the ocean.

I park the jeep and head out to the dark sands of the beach. A number of other people are here taking in all that the undulating waves have to offer. They are soothing in some way. Their regular motion has a way of relieving stress and making one forget about their worries. The ocean is infinite and perhaps that it is why it so hypnotic.


Along the shore, I find a number remains of some interesting sea-plants. They have a large bulb at the bottom and a long stalk. They feel like rubber and have a strange orange hue. The ocean is such a foreign place to me. Perhaps someday, I will take my adventurous spirit under the waves.

I make my way to the rocks surrounding Goat Rock, but find no path leading over them that doesn't come with significant risk. That will cut my hike quite short, but before I depart, I have to stop for some pictures from the cliffs above. I find a place to park and head out to the edge of the cliffs. The view from there is amazing. I can see miles down the rock shore below. 


In the distance, a notable landmark suffers eternally from the pounding of waves. Arch Rock stands as a bastion to the rolling waters of the Pacific Ocean as they flow into the shore. It's an incredible formation, formed eons ago by the same forces that now batter it. 

As expected, the winds and the waves refresh me like few other forces can. As I depart this place, I feel recharged and ready for the world anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment