Saturday, March 4, 2017

Lower Skyline Trail (Napa County, California)


Visiting Napa Valley for the weekend, I wanted to get a little hiking in. Originally, I had planned to hike to Zim Zam falls, but with the wet weather forecast, I decided to stick a little closer to civilization. I'll visit the falls another time . . . a dryer time.

Heading to Napa's Skyline Adventure Park, just on the southeastern outskirts of town, I had to contend with a long line of cars entering the park. Apparently, there is a disc golf tournament this morning. When I finally found the trail-head and parked, it was an interesting maze through some fenced off areas before reaching the foot of the hills into which the trails climb.


The ground is soft with the overnight rains and a thick fog fills the air, but I couldn't let that stop me. The trails are well marked and are a mix of soft earth and exposed stones. I only encounter a couple of other hikers along the way as I follow a couple of switch-backs up the hills towards the fork where the Lower Skyline Trail breaks off from the longer Skyline Trail. As I want to hit another hike in the valley this morning, I'm only opting to do the former. 

As I reach the fork, another side trail leads off towards a broken stone wall. I wander over for a peek anticipating a cliff of some sort, but it turns out to be just more fog-covered rolling hills. Beautiful in it's own right, but nothing spectacular.

The trails in many places here have taken some pretty harsh damage from mount backs, as witnessed, by the deep ruts carved into the hillside. I wish park officials would address this better.


As I continue back towards the trail head, I am greeted by small friend. A small reddish newt has crawled out of the moist grass to pose for me. Upon later research, I believe he was a rough-skinned newt, indigenous to Northern California. He was cute little guy. I took a couple of pictures and let him continue on his journey.

Arriving back at the trail head, I pack up and head for my second destination a few miles North. This short trail was only about 2.3 miles, but I'll add to that with my next stop.


No comments:

Post a Comment