Sunday, March 5, 2017

Napa Valley Marathon (Napa County, California)


A weekend in Napa Valley is always an outstanding time. The relaxed atmosphere, the wine, the charm of the small towns along CA-29 are the stuff of great memories. I've been to Napa many times over the years, but this trip is a little different. In addition to driving back and forth between Calistoga and Napa, this time I will be running it as a participant of the 39th Annual Napa Valley Marathon. 

When I started running again a couple of years ago, I never thought I would run a full-marathon, but as the months and years have passed, it became something of a bucket list item. And now, on this cold, rainy Sunday morning, I stand here freezing in my running shorts and tech shirt at the northern end of Napa Valley. A inflated red arch stands 15-feet above the starting line, over which 3,000 runners will soon pass as the marathon gets under way. 

With a rendition of the national anthem and a countdown from five, we are off. As I pass under the arch, a cold wind and light rain foreshadow the conditions I will run in this morning. I feel strong this morning, but 26.2 miles is a very long way to run. As I pass the first aid station, I take a small glass of water from a cheering volunteer. Traffic has been blocked off for most of the way and we, the runners, spread out across both lanes of Silverado Trail. 



As the sun rises over the vineyards, we push on towards the distant finish line. Everyone is friendly and supportive of each other. For being here and doing this difficult thing, is instant membership to the club. As I've gotten more and more into running, I've learned of this brotherhood, the 26.2 Club for lack of a better name, and if I can just push myself a few more miles, I can join.

The aid stations are well-staffed and offer a variety of hydration and refueling options. Spaced at approximately every two-mile mark, I take advantage of water, gatorade, bananas, goo, and whatever else will help me maintain an energy level conducive to running a marathon. 

Training in Reno at 4'000 feet has helped my endurance and I don't really ever get winded maintaining my 10-minute/mile pace, but as I pass the 13-mile mark, I can feel my knee starting to throb. At 15-miles, the pain is substantial and I have to walk for a bit. Unfortunately, the remainder of the race will be a combination of walking and running as I pressure my knee more and more and push through the pain. I know as I get older this will simply get worse and worse, but today I'm strong and I will cross that finish line. 



Eventually, I hear the loudspeakers from the finish line celebration. The sound and perhaps moreso, the knowledge that I am close inspire me to run. It hurts, but not finishing strong would hurt more and for far longer. I can see it now, the blue arch that welcomes the weary and exhausted runners home. I make the turn and stretch out my stride until finally, I am there. I am at the finish line. I am a marathoner!



For me, it is an accomplishment, but as I catch my breath from my final sprint to the finish line, I am witness to an even more important event for a young couple. A woman who finished just behind me is greeted by a young man taking one knee and producing an engagement ring. She is too winded to respond, but gives an emphatic nod 'yes' as the two embrace. What a site to witness. I shake the young couple's hands and wish them well. Classy move, my friend - very classy!


No comments:

Post a Comment