Saturday, September 16, 2017

Fern Canyon (Humbolt County, California)

 

For my final stop of this long weekend, I decided to visit a spot my friend, Erik, had told me of. A long windy and narrow forest road leads through the lush forest of the Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park to a popular parking lot. From the lot, one trail leads into the rich forest to a narrow slot canyon known for the sheer green walls that are covered with five different species of ferns.


Fern Canyon appears to be a popular destination. A small trickle of a creek runs from the canyon, but a number of small primitive bridges (no more than some planks nailed together across a base) have been placed along the way to keep visitors from getting completely soaked. 

The walls of the canyon rise anywhere from twenty to fifty feet straight up and out of the creek bed. As far as the eye can see, green ferns carpet the walls. A number of fallen logs have been washed down the creek, making for a few obstacles to be crawled over. Eventually, I reach a point where the effort involved is likely not worth the reward, as progress would require some jungle-gym like antics to maneuver through the debris. I decide to turn back.


Upon returning to the parking lot, I realize I'm hungry and decide to take advantage of the long stretch of undeveloped beach just a few yards from me to refuel. A second trail pass through some grasses and opens up onto the find gray sands of this Northern California beach. 

Just as the beach comes into site, I'm caught off guard to see a large elk bull feeding on the rich grasses. I'm only a ten or so yards away from him, but he doesn't seem to care as he continues to take his fill of the local smorgasbord. I take a few shots as he makes a few different poses. 


Finally, I head out onto the beach and find a washed-up log to sit on and enjoy a snack. The waves roll in one after another to infinity. As I dine on my clif bar, a lone seal swims and leaps into and out of the incoming waves. All along the shoreline, the remains of seagulls, crabs, and other creatures find their final rest. The beach extends in both directions as far as the eye can see and there is no sign of human development. I can't help but think of all of the 'life' that's has, is, and will goes on here every day since the dawn of time. It truly makes one realize how small and insignificant we are in this great big world.

No comments:

Post a Comment