Friday, September 15, 2017

Secret Beach (Curry County, Oregon)


While chatting with the photographers at Thor's Well, I asked about any other destinations in the area or on my planned path that might be worth a visit. One gentlemen mentioned a spot he had visited the day before - a hidden gem along the Southern Oregon Coast and luckily, right along my path.

Secret Beach can be found on a Google search, but there is no real signage to indicates the trail to it. I allowed my phone GPS to guide me and then made an educated guess as to where the trailhead might be. Luckily on a nearby pull-out, someone was nice enough to sketch a general map of the local trails. Using that map as my guide, I found a trail heading west from a small pull-out. 


The trail heads steeply downhill with a small creek alongside. I can't see the creek, but I can hear the running water making a break for the Pacific. I follow for approximately a quarter of a mile before it opens up to the single most beautiful beach my eyes have ever witnessed. A small waterfall drops 15 or so feet before the creek reaches its final destination. As I climb out on to a precarious finger of rock overlooking the beach, I'm am truly in awe of what I am seeing.


The sunlight is just right as it bounces off of the small rocky islands in this tiny bay. Each tall rocky island has a number of trees crowning it. The setting is like something out of the movie, 'Avatar'. The beauty of this place is truly unreal. My heart and soul somehow leave my body as I survey the awe-inspiring landscape I'm surrounded by. I don't often think about such things, but when my time has ended and my ashes are ready to be returned to Mother Earth, I think this is the place I want to spend my eternity.

1 comment: