Saturday, May 5, 2018

Guardian Rock (Shasta County, California)

 

While most of my purpose on this weekend's trip to Whiskeytown Lake National Recreation Area was to search out the waterfalls for which the region is known, I also wanted to get in a couple of other hikes. 

My next stop took me to outskirts of the park in search of the Guardian Rock. The map of the trail made it appear to be a short flat path to an interesting rock formation. Instead, it turned out to be a steep ascent of a little over a half-mile. Once reaching my destination, I do my best to ascend to a spot to get a good picture. 


The rock itself is an impressive specimen of what I believe to be basalt. It towers over the small river and the river bends around it as if giving a nod in submission to the mighty sentinel.

While I didn't measure the distance of this short hike, I suspect it was a bit over a mile out and back. Now, it's time to set up camp and call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment