Saturday, October 27, 2018

Ballardini Ranch Loop (Washoe County, Nevada)


A few weeks ago, I hurt my foot running a 5k. I attribute the injury to the route being mostly on sand, which I hate running on. Anyway, that ailing foot has limited my recent hiking, but as it is starting to feel a bit better, I figured it was time to start hitting the trails once again.

On the southwestern side of Reno, a trail system was build a couple of years ago around what was once the Ballardini family's ranch. This is just one of many such projects that have been build in and around Washoe County, but this one had not been on my radar until recently. Listed at a modest 2.2 miles, it is really only something I would consider when I didn't have a lot of time (or was recovering from an injury). Both of those happened to be the case today and so, I decided to check it out.


A nice trailhead, complete with pit toilets, awaits hikers here. This time of year (and most of the year for that matter), the foothills around Reno are covered with a golden-yellow grass as far as the eye can see. Right now, however, the few trees along the creek and in the neighborhoods below are in the peak of their autumn coloration and add to the gorgeous pallet of fall. 

The easy trail meanders through the hills offering views of the neighborhoods to the north and of canyons leading into the Mt. Rose Wilderness to the south. Air temperatures are hitting the mid-70's, a bit warm for this late into fall, but good hiking weather. As I round the far end of the loop, I note that my foot really isn't bothering me at all. 

Eventually, I make my way down to the creek and the trail parallels it most of the way back to the trailhead. It's a nice and easy 2.3 mile trek, but it's nice to be out on the trails again.

No comments:

Post a Comment