Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Philosopher's Way (San Francisco County, California)


Just outside of the hustle and bustle of downtown San Francisco, sits a small hill, which is home to John McLaren Park. Within the park near it's outer perimeter, I recently learned of a short trail known as the Philosopher's Way. Knowing that I'm going to be trapped in the city for the next couple of days, I decided to take a detour and hike this short urban-ish trail.

Starting the somewhat popular trail on the southwestern corner of the park, I quickly enter a wooded area, which seems a little odd in the bay area, but it's a pleasant escape nonetheless. The trail meanders around the edge of the park, occasionally offering views of the city or the bay. Large stones with an etched triangle mark the way, but even with this I find myself loosing the correct path periodically. Being within the city, this trail and the park as a whole gets a lot of use and a network of interconnected trails have been worn over the decades.


After cutting across a hillside carpeted with the golden grasses that are so prevalent in California, the trail opens up to the small Jerry Garcia Amphitheater. I think I would enjoy seeing a performance here someday. For the city-dwellers, I can imagine this nearby retreat may give them a chance to breathe and open their minds beyond the confines of the concrete jungle. For me though, as someone who lives to be in the backcountry away from all of this, it's much like any stroll in any city park - pleasant, but not overly enlightening. 

With the sun falling in the west, I head back to the jeep. I have to get checked into my hotel and then over to Oakland for a concert. Still, it was a nice distraction and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to hike the 2.6 or so miles right here in the heart of the bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment