Sunday, August 4, 2019

Truckee Half-Marathon (Nevada County, California)


I've been on a streak so far this year of running at least one half-marathon each month (I ran two in May), but not wanting to end the situation, I started looking for a nearby run for the month of August. Originally, I was considering running the ET Midnight Half along the Extraterrestrial Highway in central Nevada, near Rachel. As I write this, I'm undecided on whether or not, I will run that one. However, I decided cover my bases by registering for the Truckee Half-Marathon, when I saw my friend Miranda had signed up for. Our mutual friend Chris had cautioned about the route being exceptionally hilly and running a bit long, but it didn't deter us.

The morning of the race, Miranda picked me up at my home around 5:45AM and we headed over the hill. Another friend, Sarah, was suppose to run, but she was having some issues with a new puppy she had adopted. Also, Chris was registered for the race, but thought he might have his kids with him and opted to drive separately. It's only about a thirty minute drive between Reno and Truckee, but we needed to pick up our bib's. Additionally, Sarah had asked us to leave earlier to allow her plenty of time to warm-up prior to the race. Sarah and Chris are both extremely capable and competitive runners, often placing or even winning various distances. Miranda and I, while taking our running pretty seriously, aren't quite on the same level and at least speaking for myself, have little desire to be. Though Sarah cancelled on is, we decided to keep our meeting time and so with the crack of dawn, we were headed over the Sierra Nevada.

Arriving at Alibi Aleworks (one of the race's sponsors and the start and finish line) in downtown Truckee, we paid our parking meter, grabbed our bibs and proceeded back to the car. Truckee sits a couple of thousand feet higher in elevation that Reno and its cold up here this morning. In fact, my phone shows the temperature at 47 degrees. Good running weather, but a little brisk to be standing outside for long in running shorts. As the start time approaches, more an more people begin to show up. Luckily, we beat the crowds and got a nice parking spot. A 5k is also being hosted and between the two events, I would estimate about three hundred runners. Not a bad turn out for a small mountain town.

Just a few minutes before the start time at 7:30AM, we hop out of the car and find Chris near the starting line. We chat for a couple of minutes, get stretched, and then await the countdown. One of the race officials tells the crowd that he is just waiting on confirmation of the roads being closed. The delay is nearly ten minutes, but with a countdown from ten, we're off.


As expected Chris is leading the pack out of the gate and for nearly the first two miles. Miranda and I leap-frog each other a bit, especially on some of the early hills, but eventually she pulls away from me. Though I hadn't reviewed the route and elevation profile in great detail, I knew the first part included a fair amount of trail. We had also been warned at the pre-race briefing of a single-file bridge over a seasonal creek. When I finally arrived at the "bridge", I found it was nothing more than two 2x8" planks placed end to end and supported by a log in the middle. Single-file? I'm not sure there was another choice. 

Other than some steep uphills, I feel pretty strong as we proceed through the campground on the eastern end of Donner Lake, but some of the inclines are steep enough that I'm forced to walk up them. The problem with walking is that it gives my mind the time and energy to think and thinking is the enemy right now. Just one week ago, one of my very best friends took his own life and those dark thoughts of loss weigh heavily on me. Perhaps my music choices along the trail aren't helping, but all of this in combination has the effect of slowing me down considerably going into the second third of the course.

As I reach the highest point on the song side of the long alpine lake that, I look out over the water and realize that Miranda is gone and its doubtful if I will be able to catch her at this point. Oh well, I'm here for me and honestly, the stress-relief that running brings is something that I am in desperate need of right now. The loss of my friend will not be easy to get over. Luckily, the road starts heading downhill towards lake level and I'm able to gain some time back. I can start to feel some twinges in my right knee though, especially on the impact of downhill steps.

Rounding the western side of the lake, the course flattens out and will remain so almost the entire northern side of the lake. We are afforded some very nice views from here. The water is still pretty cold, but as we are entering the dog days of summer, the temperatures are getting just to a point that people will dare swim in the clear waters. A number of people are out on the lake on paddle boards, while others sun themselves on the public piers. It's a pretty view and I kind of wish I could join them, but no, I must push on and finish the race.

After reaching the eastern end of the lake, the route breaks away and heads up Donner Pass Road and into Truckee proper. There is a lot of construction going on and combined with the congestion caused by the race, traffic is backed up a bit. I make my way through the small shops until finally reaching the point I have most dreaded. Before me rises a three-hundred foot hill that I must run up. On the elevation profile chart, this particular hill appears as almost a vertical line. This is going to be a challenge for my already-straining knee. I make the turn and begin my ascent. After only a short distance, I'm forced to walk again. I'm not alone though, everyone runner in site has suddenly become a walker for this physical challenge.


Finally reaching the top, I know the course is only a couple more miles and most of it is downhill. That will be good for my time, but not so good for my knee. The pain has gotten worse and it aches with every impact. The trail here is a paved walkway/bike-way through what appears to be a regional park (I'm unsure of the name), but it is a pleasant space and I pass a number of families enjoying a leisurely stroll along the way. Making the left turn, I pass underneath Interstate 80, which I had crossed over the top of before entering Truckee proper. Just ahead, the finish line. Miranda is there waiting for me and cheering me in as I make the final push.


I'm in pain and exhausted both physically and mentally, but what I'm not is stressed. Physical exhaustion has a way of clearing the head, at least for me, and I have been in desperate need of this for a week now. We take a few minutes to hydrate and then head in to enjoy our complimentary beer and some Mexican corn nachos. My track shows the route at about 13.55 miles. Chris was correct. My finishing time was 2:45:15, which is not great, but I wasn't expecting much today. Miranda made her goal and finished with a 2:28. Chris, unfortunately, had to end his race after only about 3.5 miles due to his achilles acting up. He likely would have won the race had it not been for that old injury returning to haunt him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment