Sunday, October 4, 2020

Bearfence Mountain (Shenandoah National Park, Virginia)

While driving along the Shenandoah Skyline Drive, I noted a few short hikes that I wanted to get done. The first one was to a small summit called Bearfence Mountain. Strange Name??? Much like most of the hikes I've done along my way, this parking lot is also pretty busy, but I'm able to find a spot and hit the trail pretty quickly. 

The trail offers two options. The first is a short sort of rocky section of the AT, while the other requires some rock scrambling according to the description. As I'm on a fairly tight schedule, I decide to take the AT path, but along the way take advantage of a cross-trail and finally get some minor scrambling in. The Peak itself is not really all that amazing. The views are nice, but somewhat obstructed. I think the trail must be so popular just because it does share path with the AT. In fact (and I only learned this today) the AT or Appalachian trail follows the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah Skyline Drive very closely for almost their entire 600 mile combined distance.

Anyway, after hitting the summit and returning the way I came, I head back to the jeep to continue on to my next stop. Distance for this short hike was maybe a mile and a half; not much to speak of.

No comments:

Post a Comment