Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Ash Cave (Hocking County, Ohio)

 

The next leg of my trip brings me into the Hocking Hills area of central Ohio. Geologically and topologically interesting, this are includes several caves, gorges, and waterfalls. My first stop is to visit Ash Cave, which requires just a short hike through the woods to reach this popular natural attraction.

The 'cave' is more of huge overhang with a currently dry waterfall likely flow over the high edge. Were it not for all of the foliage and the lack of the cliff dwellings, this reminds me of the famous Cliff Palace in Mesa Verde in both shape and size. I follow the trail as it winds around the arc of the overhang. The scale of this place is amazing. From where I'm standing to the edge of the overhang is probably 80 feet and the arc formed by the 'cave' spans roughly a tenth of a mile. It seems somewhat out of place in central Ohio, but it's a spectacular site nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment