Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Medlock Bridge (Gwinnett County, Georgia)

It's a chilly morning, but I talked my mother, who now lives with us, into taking a short hike this morning. The exercise does her good, but I have to be fairly selective with the trails I take her on. She's not able to do big mileage or strenuous climbs at her age. I've got a list of a few options and this morning, we decided to visit the Medlock Bridge Unit of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area, which is only a few miles from home.

We arrived shortly after the park opened and easily found a parking spot. There was only one other car on the parking lot. After walking down the muddy boat ramp to see the river close up, we headed into the woods on the well marked and well worn trail. The first section follows the river closely. The light fog this morning, coupled with the rising sun, made for some interesting shots.

I told Mom to keep an eye out for turtles on the floating logs, but I think its a bit cold for them this morning. After about half-a-mile, we turn back. I'm generally letting her lead to set her own pace, but when we get to muddy sections or areas with a lot of roots, I tend to move to the front to guide her over the rougher terrain. After returning to the parking lot, I see we've hiked about 1.5 miles total, which is pretty good for her. She comments about how much fun it was - mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment