Sunday, April 18, 2021

Cascade Springs (Fulton County, Georgia)

 

Today is going to be one of those days where I get a lot of trail miles in. I hiked ten yesterday and I'm expecting to get another fifteen or more in today. To start, I'm heading to Cascade Springs, just a bit southeast of downtown Atlanta. I had recently read of the area and was curious to check it out. 

I arrive just after 8:00 AM and quickly hit the trails, which start out on a long rotting boardwalk, before entering the woods. I'm almost immediately arrive at the moss-covered spring house, from which visitors once presumably drew water. It has very Celtic feel to it, but unfortunately, the entire facility is strewn with liter. 

From here, I note a sign indicating the direction of the waterfall and I decide to head that way. The trail is easy enough, but again, there is a lot of liter here. People don't seem to take very good care of this would-be beautiful preserve. The waterfall itself is only a short distance away and is formed by some rocks over which a roadway has been constructed. Someone has set up some candles and fruit in a circular formation on a flat rock below the waterfall in some sort of ceremonial arrangement. I'm not exactly sure of the intention and no one is around to ask, but it's interesting to be sure. Here again though, several pieces of liter are scattered all around.

With some disappointment at the way the park is treated, I decide to move on to my next destination. I had hoped to hike a couple of miles here, but I'll settle for the short 0.6 that I got and head to someplace not so disrespected by visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment