Sunday, April 18, 2021

Sope Creek and Cochran Shoals from Columns (Cobb County, Georgia)


Knowing that parking would bed atrocious for today's Meetup at the designated starting point, I chose to get in a few hikes before the start time and even arrive at the trailhead more than an hour early. I have every intention of getting in some pretty good miles today and as the Columns unit of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area has access to a myriad of trail systems, I figured I would get in a few more miles before the rest of the group arrived.

To start, I head down the wide trail leading towards Cochran Shoals. This is really a parallel trail, with one part just next to the river and the other a short distance further inland. I hike south on the inland section and return on the river side, after having made my way all the way to the other trailhead, a total distance of about 3.6 miles. 

By the time I arrive back at the original trailhead, several members of the Meetup group, including the organizer, have started arriving. After our customary quick round of introductions, we head back down the way I had hike earlier. Today's trail was listed as Sope Creek, which is in the opposite direction and the reason I added the trails that I did, but it's really no matter. Taking a side trail once we near the southern end, we enter a wooded area and after a quick loop, return to the river side trail I had hiked back on earlier. 

From here, we begin to head more inland and towards Sope Creek. The trails are well maintained, but far to busy for my taste. Between mountain bikes and trail runners, we are constantly stopping to allow someone to pass. It can't be helped and it's the right thing to do, but just one more reason that I tend to prefer more remote and more challenging trails.

Our large group makes our way through the woods and eventually explore some beautiful less-traveled trails, including one to a small family cemetery deep in the woods. The large tombstone marks the burial plot of infant who died around the turn of the twentieth century. Strange to find a place like this so deep back in the woods, but I imagine this place was once tamed and may have even been a homestead.


Moving on we encounter a couple of deer on the trail. Once they notice us, they sprint to a safe distance. As the trail enters a residential community, we walk beside some tennis courts, which seem to be very popular on this gorgeous spring day, and then make our way along the road for a short distance before heading back into the woods. We make a brief stop at Sibley Pool, which is a small pond in the woods, before making our way back to the parking area. 

It was a nice hike and I always enjoy being out with this group of people, but the trails themselves were far too busy for my taste, especially with all of the mountain bikes. Including, the miles I walked before the group arrived, I managed to get in a total of 13.6 miles during this hike, bringing today's total to around 16.6 miles. While my legs are a little tired, I feel pretty good overall. For now though, it's time to cap off our hike with some pizza and beer at a local brewery.

No comments:

Post a Comment