Sunday, July 11, 2021

Upper Whitewater Falls (Jackson County, North Carolina)


 With the rain starting and stopping, but threatening to worsen, we decided to make one last stop to see the mighty Upper Whitewater Falls. This waterfall in combination with the lower falls a short distance downstream, is thought to be the tallest waterfall east of the Mississippi. The upper falls, at 411 feet tall, is a spectacular site. My nephew and I walk the short, paved trail to the observation deck, which includes descending a number of steps to a terrific overlook. I have to admit that this is one of the more impressive waterfalls I've seen since moving east. My young nephew seems to be equally in awe. After taking in the view for a few minutes, we climb back up the steps and head back to the jeep just as the rain begins to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment