Sunday, March 13, 2022

Little Mulberry Trail (Gwinnett County, Georgia)

For my second hike of the day, I decided to join another hiking group at Little Mulberry Park. I've hiked here several times over the past couple of years, but it's a very nice location with a lot of trails and some decent uphill sections. I generally don't like to revisit hikes too often, but I want more miles today and this seemed like a good option at a pleasant location.

There is some confusion as to our intended meeting place as the description provides one address in the text and a second on the map. The organizer had called me just prior to the start of the hike and I mentioned this to him. We agree to meet at the one listed in the text, but once we arrive and chat further, we decide that he will go to the other one, while I wait here and direct people to that one. We'll then meet up at the listed start time. Our plan works pretty well and I send a couple of hikers over to the other parking lot before joining the larger group myself. However, we end up getting back into our cars and caravaning to a third parking lot, which the organizer thinks will provide a better hiking experience. In fact, this third parking lot is the one I have used most often. 

After all of that, we finally regroup and do our traditional round of introductions. Today's ice-breaker question is whether or not you believe in extraterrestrial life, which gives rise to some giggles and spawns some interesting conversation. With all of that done, we finally hit the trail. 

Several sections of trail in this park are paved and that's where we start. We eventually make our way down one of the steeper sections and across the long board walk spanning a small stream. Our hike takes us around most of the southern part of the park and past a few small streams, which are running quite nicely today. It also takes us down the Ravine Trail and to the waterfall overlook. I've been here many times and while it is still nothing more than a small stream flowing down a hill over rocks, there is more water today than I have seen in the past. It seems to interest several of our hikers who stop to take pictures. 

Eventually, we make our way back to the starting area. Some of us will be reconvening at a local Italian restaurant for food and drinks. The hike itself was about 7.5 miles, bringing my total for the day up to 10.6, which isn't bad. I haven't been hiking as much as I want, but this is a good start back into it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment