Saturday, March 26, 2022

Monadnock Madness (Rockdale, Dekalb and Cobb Counties, Georgia)


For the past several years, the Arabia Mountain National Heritage Area has hosted and encouraged the public to explore the gigantic granite outcroppings, known geologically as monadnocks, surrounding the Atlanta-area. I participated in the event two years ago, just after moving to Georgia and just before the COVID-19 pandemic had started. It was a fun event that includes multiple hikes on the outskirts of the metropolitan area. I believe the event was cancelled last year due to the pandemic, but it was held again this year and announced as the final time. Wanting to get some trail miles in anyway, I decided to accept the challenge.

In year's past, the challenge consisted of Stone Mountain, Arabia Mountain, and Panola Mountain. This year, however, for reasons unknown, Stone Mountain was replaced with Kennesaw Mountain diagonally across Atlanta from the other sites. As Panola is a pristine area and exploration of the mountain itself are only allowed as part of a ranger-led guided tour, I made an appointment a couple of weeks ago. This would be my first of the three to tackle today.

Arriving at the Panola Mountain State Park visitor's center a few minutes before the start, I headed inside to check-in and use the restroom. The group of hikers was already forming, about a dozen of us in all. Right on time, our guide called our attention and we headed outside for a brief introduction and overview of the what to expect. He was a young ranger, but very enthusiastic. 

With a few words, we headed into the woods and after unlocking the gate, into the restricted zone. We would make several stops along the way as our guide spoke of the history, geology and ecology of the area. He was quite knowledgeable. This area was once abused with poor farming practices, but after being reacquired by the state several decades ago, has been returned to a healthy woods. The mountain itself, which rises out of the landscape is home to two endangered plant species, diamorpha smallii and sedum pusillum. This plants and much of the other unique ecology of this area are the reasons it is listed and protected as a pristine area. 

As we continue our trot up the mountain, we take several more breaks along the way. While the ranger, a couple of others, and I are fast hikers, there are several slower participants and the guided tour must accommodate all paces and wait for them to catch up. I have a good conversation with the ranger, who is very wise for his young age. He has a great deal of passion for educating the public on the natural world around us and it shines through in his presentation. At one point, I asked why the Monadnock Madness was being discontinued after this year. According to his explanation, it's another case of the public loving our parks "to death". Especially with the pandemic, these natural areas have been visited in record numbers of the past couple of years, and are suffering from it.

Returning to the visitor center, the ranger encourages us to return in the summer to see the highlights of that season and the contrast to this time of year. I check my GPS track and see that we've hiked a leisurely 3.9 miles this morning. It was a great experience full of education and I'm glad we have rangers out there like our guide today who exude so much enthusiasm for the protection of these places.

For my second of the three hikes, I drove a short distance to Arabia Mountain, which I have hiked in and around several times since living in Georgia. Luckily, I am able to get a parking spot at the southern lot, which saves me from having to walk the mile or so from the visitor's center along the completely unnecessary board walk that was installed here. I don't mind the distance, but I hate that so many trees were cut down to install this long board walk, when a simple trail would have sufficed perfectly well. It also saves me a little time and since, I still have one more hike to hit for the event, I'm happy for any time savings.


The trail here hits the granite almost immediately and I'm welcomed by the spring bloom of bright yellow daisies growing out of the sandy areas of the granite outcrop. It's a very wind day today and I'm forced to hold onto my ball cap as I climb up the barren granite along the well-worn foot path. Unlike Panola, this mountain covers a much larger surface area and the vast majority of that is exposed without trees are wooded areas. This allows the wind to blow right through. Here again, some diamorpha smallii can be seen growing in the sediment pools that have formed over the centuries. This time of year, the small plant shines a bright red color and several patches are in bloom with their delicate white flowers. As I reach the summit, I take a moment to breath in the 360-degree view, before heading back down to my car. Without the walkway to add unnecessary distance, I only hiked 1.2 miles here at Arabia Mountain.


Far across metro-Atlanta, rises Kennesaw Mountain. This final monadnock rises sharply in Cobb County and was the site of a major battle during the Civil War. It and the surrounding area are now protected by the NPS as the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park. Not having much to eat so far today, I stopped and grabbed a sandwich after battling my way through the horrible traffic problems this city has. Finding a parking spot near the visitor's center, I lift the hatchback of my outback and take a few minutes to get some nourishment back into me. 

With some new calories to burn, I start making my way up the Kennesaw Mountain. This trail is considerably steeper than the previous two and I know I'm going to get a pretty good work out going up this one. I also want to hold a fast pace to increase the cardio benefit from the ascent. This is probably the most popular of the three mountains due to it's historical significance, and this is obvious by sheer number of people on the trail. It's also interesting that the granite here is far more covered with soil than the other two. Only in few places along the trail, is the granite exposed. 


Making my way up the final pitch, I arrive at the summit. Here several Civil-War era cannons have been placed to replicate the armaments in place during the defense of Atlanta from General Sherman's campaign. This is probably my third or fourth time reaching the summit, but each visit, I'm struck by the words "prepare to meet thy god" carved into the stone at the summit. I've done some research and while the carving is definitely old, no one seems to be able to confirm that it was carved during the battle. It does seem likely however, given the gravity of the situation and the steadfastness of the soldiers defending this last barrier protecting the city.

The hike down the mountain is uneventful, but I do feel my knees getting a little angry with the pace I'm keeping as I hurry my way down carved steps. Arriving back at my car, I see that this hike was about 2.4 miles, which brings the day's total to 7.5 miles. Not terrible. Now to return home and submit my pictures to the event organizers in order to get credit for the completion. I'm sorry that this will be the final year of this event, but I'm also thankful that the organizers recognize the wear and tear it is causing on these natural wonders. I'm sure they will come up with something similarly enjoyable to replace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment