Tuesday, April 26, 2022

McConkie Ranch Petroglyphs (Uintah County, Utah)

. . . And we're off to see more petroglyphs. After having visited Nine Mile Canyon yesterday, I wasn't sure that anything could top it in the way of rock art, but this next stop certainly gives it a run for it's money. Nick had visited McConkie Ranch previously and suggested that we stop so that I could see the amazing works here. I'm so very glad that he did.

This place is in the "middle of nowhere", Utah and requires a detour of a few miles. Once we arrive, there is a grassy parking area with a map to the rock art areas. Interestingly, there are homes built at the base of the cliff where the rock art was scratched and painted. Apparently, the residents have gotten tired of people plodding through their yards and have set up a designated trail that takes people away from their homes, but still allows access to the treasures above. Thank you residents of McConkie Ranch for this wonderful compromise.

The trail first takes us across a grassy cow pasture and then up a step incline with several switchbacks before reaching the first panel. It's a challenging hike, but once I catch my first glimpse of the panel, I know immediately that it was worth the energy to get up here. 

    
 

These petroglyphs are unlike any I have ever scene. The human figures are decorated with fancy clothing, head dresses and jewelry. Some of the petroglyphs have dye inside parts of them, leading me to believe the images were once painted in addition to being etched into the hillside. There are so many and they are all so elaborate. I'm just going to post several pictures here to give my readers a taste.

One section has a sign pointing up the cliff and after hopping on a large boulder and looking up, I can see the Great Bear that was carved into the sandstone. This image seems familiar to me and I believe I have seen it somewhere before, but I can't quite place it. Perhaps, it was simply when I was reading about this place and it's artwork.

After exploring the path high above the road and all of the works up here, Nick suggests that I continue down the other trail to see the Three Kings Panel. He's going wait in the car. I expect it's just a short distance and so, I agree. Little did I know that it was more like a mile and a half away, through cow pasture, alongside a murky pond and finally, through the rattlesnake heaven of open desert. The sign told me to follow the orange flags, but they disappeared quite a while back and I'm just guessing my way to the panel. Finally, I get there and see a sign pointing upwards to the tall cliff a distance away. There, some eighty feet or so, above the desert floor, the decorative images of three or more humanoids watch over this valley. These must be the three kings. It's a great panel, but I'm not entirely sure it was worth the walk out here given the richness of the other portion of the site. Either way though, I'm glad I made the journey. Overall, this is one of the most amazing rock art sites I've ever visited. Truly astonishing petroglyphs and pictographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment