Saturday, May 14, 2022

Lula Lake Landtrust - Hike Bike Brew (Walker County, Georgia)

 

It's been a pretty busy fifteen hours or so. I did the Foxfire Night Hike last night and then ran a 5k in Kennesaw early this morning, only getting a few hours of sleep in between. And now, I'm headed to Lula Lake Landtrust just south of Chattanooga to once again participate in their Hike Bike Brew event. I mean, it's a hike with beer stops along the way. It's like this was made for me. Unfortunately, I've been suffering from some stomach issues and I will need to go light on the alcohol today.

It didn't make sense to drive home from Kennesaw only to come back the same way on my way to Lula Lake and so, I just took my time on the way up. I stopped for breakfast and checked out a couple of other trail heads, but even with those stall tactics, I still arrived more than half-an hour early. It worked out, the organizers allowed me and a couple of others that had also gotten there early to start the trail. 

After checking in, we made our way to the first beer stop. This trail is about 3.3 miles long with one climb. Along the route and placed every fifth of a mile or so, there is a beer stop set up, with brewery personnel from many of the Chattanooga-area breweries serving their wares. Every beer here as at least good, with a couple being stand outs. I didn't dare take pours of any of the sours, as I think my stomach would really have a problem with that. Sours seemed to be a theme this year, as there were a number of goses and Berliner Weisses available.


The trail poses no real challenge for me, but it is quite beautiful. With two distinct waterfalls along Rock Creek and bountiful views of the creek itself it does not hurt for scenery. Additionally, there is a climb to the top of Eagle Cliff overlooking the Chattanooga Valley. It really is a gorgeous area and well worth protecting. This event is actually a fund raiser for the landtrust and I raise my glass the brewers who donated their time and beer for this great cause.


Finally, returning to the beginning of the trail, I enjoy the last of my beer. In total, I've probably had less than 16oz of the various beers available here and I don't even have a hint of a buzz. Normally, I would wait here and enjoy some food and music while I ensure I'm ready to drive, but today, that's not an issue and I head back to the car and depart for home. This is truly a great event, I just can't take full advantage of it this time around. Hopefully, I'll be in better condition next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment