Thursday, May 26, 2022

Carlisle Cathedral (Cumberland County, United Kingdom)


 My new friends and I have completed our first day hiking along the Hadrian's Wall Path and I have a little time before meeting back up with them for dinner. I decided to walk around Carlisle a little bit. I'm told the nearby Carlisle Cathedral is not to be missed. It's only a short walk from the bed and breakfast where I'm staying and though my legs are a bit tired from the long miles on the trail today, I still arrive pretty quickly.


The first thing that catches my eye are the ancient archways in the courtyard next to the mighty cathedral. I'm not architectural expert, but they appear to be quite old and just add character to the whole site. As I continue around the structure, I see the main entrance and decide to poke my head in. The inside is enormous. To my right the giant pipes of an organ rise to the ceiling and at the end of each hall within, an intricate stained glass window displays characters or events from the Christian Bible. 

As I read, I see that construction of the cathedral was started in 1122 C.E., making this structure nine hundred years old. It's aged well. It's a beautiful example of gothic style architecture. I wish I had more time to explore further, but dinner awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment