Sunday, March 19, 2023

High Falls (DeKalb County, Alabama)


I'm on my way home from running a Half-Marathon in and around Cathedral Caverns State Park in north-eastern Alabama, but that doesn't mean I can't make a couple of stops on the way home. The first is to visit High Falls State Park near Grove Oak, AL. This park is pretty much in the middle of nowhere and when I arrive at the visitor's center, there is no one here except the receptionist and one ranger. They are friendly though and provide directions to the best viewing locations for the falls.


It's only a short walk, which is probably a good thing since my legs have already has a pretty good workout today. Arriving at Town Creek after only a hundred yards or so, I'm impressed by the waterfall. It's a powerful one and very broad. In addition the falls itself, there is an interesting arch rising from the water, which was in all likelihood carved out by the rushing creek waters. I spend a few minutes taking in the view before heading back to the car. It was only a slight detour for me, but well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment