Sunday, June 4, 2023

Autrey Mill - Rain Delay (Fulton County, Georgia)


For a little while now, I've wanted to get over to the nearby Autrey Mill Nature Preserve. It's only ten miles or so from my home and a new place to hike that I've never explored. For one reason or another, I haven't made it over as planned. Today is the day though. I know there are some thunderstorms headed this way, but I'm hopeful I can get enough time to explore the trails of this preserve before they hit.

Once at the parking area, I take note of how well maintained everything is here. There is a visitor's center and several historic structures. It's all so clean and well kept. I hit the trail immediately, not knowing how much time I will have before the potential lightning and rain drive me off. After leaving the area of the structures, the single track trail enters a beautiful wooded area and straight for Sal's Creek, which is a pretty standard waterway here in Georgia, complete with large rocks rising from the shallow waters and making for a tranquil setting. Nearby, what I believe is one small section of wall of the actual mill can be seen.

It's at this point, the rain starts. First a few drops and then much heavier. The forest canopy is keeping me pretty dry, but knowing that this sprinkle will like turn into something much heavier with the approaching storms, I decided to make my way back to the car. I run a short section along a board walk and then at the next junction turn back towards the starting area. I was only able to hike less than a mile today, but I will definitely be back. I may even bring some of my nieces and nephews the next time they visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment