Friday, June 9, 2023

Looking Glass Falls (Transylvania County, North Carolina)

 

I'm on my way to the Asheville, NC area for a little weekend get-away of outdoor adventure and craft beer shenanigans. Along the way to my first planned destination in the Pisgah National Forest, I happened across a sign for Looking Glass Falls. At first I didn't think much of it as it's nearing dusk and I need to get to my destination. After passing the falls though, which is just off the forest road, I decided to turn around and walk down for a better view.

There were a few other people here, but I was able to park at pretty much the best spot possible, which is just a wide pull off near a set of steps descending to the bottom of the falls. I get out and make the short walk, breathing in the cool evening air of the forest and the mist coming off the beautiful waterfall the entire time. As it turns out, I've visited this waterfall before, but really had no memory of it. I guess I'm getting old. Luckily, I keep this blog as a reminder and found a write-up from a couple of years ago. The waterfall itself is quite stunning as the creek of the same name drops about 70 feet cleanly to a large pool below. The contrast of grayish brown rocks and lush green foliage just highlight the churning waters even more. I wish I could stay and enjoy this spot longer, but my next stop awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment