Friday, August 18, 2023

Ocmulgee Mounds (Macon-Bibb County, Georgia)

 

I'm on my way to southern Georgia for a weekend paddling trip, but along the way, I wanted to stop at a couple of interesting places. The first is Ocmulgee Mounds, which I had visited shortly after moving to the area nearly four years ago. The site preserves several earthen works created by the South Appalachian Mississippian culture around a thousand years ago. While not nearly as extensive as the Cahokia site near my home town, this historical area is still quite nice to visit and explore. 

After leaving my car, I'm hit by the intense heat of the August sun and as I walk the short distance to the reconstructed Earthen Lodge mound, I'm reconsidering my plan of walking around the entire site. The lodge mound itself does offer some shelter from the 100+ heat index this part of the south is experiencing right now. Entering the interior of the lodge, I'm hit with a rush of cool air. I almost don't want to leave, but after looking around the reconstructed meeting place, I decide I should move on.

A short distance further and the largest of the structures comes into view. The Great Temple Mound rises from the hillside and dominates the landscape. I consider walking the quarter-mile or so to the mound, but with this overbearing heat and still many miles to travel today, I decide against it. I'm remembering now why I had visited this place in December the last time I was hear. I return to my car and pump the air conditioner up, as I continue my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment