Sunday, February 25, 2024

Big Cypress Bend Boardwalk (Collier County, Florida)

My next stop on my way to the Everglades takes me to the Big Cypress Bend Boardwalk, near Carnestown, FL. The idea of a long boardwalk into the Everglades environment just seemed appealing to me and also gave me another chance to stretch my legs, which were very tight from having run a half-marathon early this morning in Tampa.

There really isn't much to this park other than the boardwalk itself, but it is about a quarter of a mile long and takes visitors through the palms and murky waters of this swamp-like environment. As I made the walk, I kept looking for alligators, but never saw one. As I reached the end of the boardwalk, it dumps out onto a gravel path along the side of a small lake, where I was able to see some interesting birds doing their thing. 

Returning to the car, I am glad I stopped if for nothing else just to get a little fresh air and perhaps, a preview of the kind of flora I will be seeing over the next five days on my trip deep into the Everglades.

No comments:

Post a Comment