Sunday, April 1, 2018

Hatchet Creek Falls (Shasta County, California)


Northern California is home to so many waterfalls. From Yosemite Valley to Redwood Forests, an amazing array of falls paint the mountainous landscape. I doubt one could visit them all within a single lifetime, but that doesn't keep me from trying.

My current target is one a few miles west of Burney, known as Hatchet Creek Falls. Finding a parking area a the 'big bend' of Big Bend Road, I note two trails leading into the nearby woods. Below, I can hear the rushing waters of Hatchet Creek. I opt to take the trail closest to the water first. I know the falls is less than a quarter of a mile from the road, but in this rugged terrain, it's impossible to know.

The trail zig zags through the trees and rocks along the sloped hillside before ending at the creek itself and while I can hear a larger waterfall in the distance, I see no path to it over the rocks and ramble now blocking my path. I return to the lot and decided to explore the other trail.

This one starts out with a trickle of water flowing down making the single track quite muddy. After a few yards, it dries out but then begins to dip and dove along the hillside. Fallen trees block the path, but can easily be climbed over. A short distance further and the falls comes into site. A log leaning from the pool below to the top of the falls and with notches carved into it acting as steps leaves no doubt of the waterfall's identity. I have seen pictures of this man-made adaption. Presumably, it provides an easy path to the top of the "diving board" for visitors during the summer in search of a adventurous way to escape the heat.

I do my best to maneuver around for the best shot, but the terrain is pretty precarious and not willing to risk falling the twenty or so feet to the rocks below, I decide to turn back. Besides, I still have another waterfall to visit today.

No comments:

Post a Comment