Sunday, April 8, 2018

Red Canyon Rim - Flaming Gorge (Daggett County, Utah)


My final trail for the day takes me over the Uinta Range and through a very mild snowstorm before dropping me down into the Flaming Gorge. The gorge is filled by a reservoir created by impounding the waters of the Green River. As I drive around the facility, it seems most of the services, including the visitor center and restrooms are still closed for the season. I'm at 7,400' here and it is a bit brisk, but I didn't expect everything to be closed. 

Refusing to surrender, I decide to go ahead and hike the trail I had intended to, the Red Canyon Rim Trail. Parking at the campground, I quickly find the trail as it winds around a side canyon to the mighty gorge below me. I've almost visited this national recreation area in the past, but never quite made it. After seeing the enormous red canyon below me, I'm sorry I waited until now.

The Flaming Gorge is a vast expanse very reminiscent of the Grand Canyon, though the walls seem steeper and the water at the canyon floor seems much wider and deeper, though calm and not flowing as the Colorado does through the Grand Canyon.


Several vantage points offer amazing views as the trail follows the canyon rim. There is no one here and it's a bit, which I actually kind of like. I bet this is a very popular area in warmer weather, but for now, I'm content to have it all to myself. Just as that thought crosses my mind, a herd of a dozen or more mule deer cross the trail just a couple of dozen yards ahead of me. They seem curious and cautious, but not scared. I don't approach them; I keep my distance and snap some pictures. They watch curiously, but mostly go on about their business.

When the trail begins to leave the rim and head towards another campground, I decide to head back. I considered getting more miles in today, but it's getting late and I still need to find some sleeping arrangements for the night. This trail added about 2.4 miles to my daily total. Considering I've hiked five short trails today, the 12 or so total miles all add up to a pretty good day of hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment